Saturday, May 26, 2007

musician

Please allow me to introduce myself"I"m a man of poverty and tastlessness".I loved the stones when I was a young "fellor".Dave and I used to go to a large musical instrument shop in town,him to oogle at the Premier Drum Kits,me I went to a floor above to play guitar with at least 10 others.I say play,but I really mean stare at others in the hope of picking up a "riff" or three.The Beatles "Get Back" was a big hit with the circle.I say circle as the guitar want-a-be"s formed the round shape of the display area.Each guitar player adopting his,at that period girls were absent from the rock world,favourite guitar posture .Some guys were uncomfortably cool,these tending to be the best,of the bad bunch.Still I learned a lot of stuff,sometimes though I would get to the magic third floor and the familior sound I may have mastered would be replaced,one week by "Classical Gas",a tune so difficult it leaft me close to tears.Like a sublime guitar guru,who thought Nirvana was in my grasp,only to find re-birth as a tone deaf sqirt.Ah shucks I wont stop fo a million bucks.The beatles and the rolling stones were at odds in the minds of a good deal of my peers.If a stones fan,you were rough n ready,but a beatleite was probably middle class and a dope smoking reader of comics like The Avengers or worse Dr Strange.I liked both,Bands and Comics.This meant in the small town mental paronioa that I was a dangerous spanner,who after a few pints would forget who I was talking to and say"ah the beatles are incredable look at all the cars they own",wondering why the guys were developing enormous red faces,I might have made an error smoking that joint before the pub.Then revalation these dudes are not beatle fans,maybe if I mention Jimi Hendrix.No I ran it being the kind of guy I am.There is one abiding memory of Mr Dempsey,a man who owned a musical shop on a triangle of shops in cabple st.He allowed us ,dave gorman and I to pay him a small amount of money every week.I got my first base guitar there and my first acustic an Eco.Dave got a bass drum with peddle, a snare and several Symbals,other stuff too.Mr Dempsey was patient and wise in the ways of the music scene.Truth is we loved and trusted him he allways had a smile for us.In an instrument shop in Caple St we met Greg,he could play like Hendrix,Clapton,Page,and if pushedGeorge Harrison,all rolled into one.I lived near by and took him home ."Ma" I said" give him my slice of cake","mine too" quiped Dave,She knew we were in the presence of an important person.I don"t give cake to just anybody,looking him up and down I guessed she was thinking there must be some mistake, but she handed over the cake.Greg devoured my slice "mm good" ,looking for more,when my ma say that Idid not rise to this monumental request she gave him another slice,a little smaller than the last,and a mug of tea.This done we got down to brass tacks,"will you join our band,he looked at our eager face"s and said "eh O K".We had a band we had no clue what that it meant,but what the hell.see ya soon dave

1 comment:

davetherave said...

HI,I did play the base when I got into playing first,I thought it would be easy.Well its not its amazing when you relaise that there are ways of useing the fat strings for max and incredable effect.It took over a year to get to know my bass,but worth every second.Remember everyeffort you put in is repaid with interest.Walking the bass was crap to me at first,but in fact it means getting a jazz blues non stop symphony of sound,that you control.You stop your fingers,or roll on down the frets,to your hearts delight.It aint easy its a work in progress,oky....doky.... dave.